Friday, September 26, 2008

We love: Jordi Scott -part 1

New York fashion week is long gone, but we attended Infamous Revolution, the Spring/Summer collection of Jordi Scott and were utterly taken with the energy of their designs which feed off the electricity of punk and new wave music. So, we're starting something new with this posting and profiling New York designers starting with the Infamous fashion duo Jordi Scott and Starr Rinaldi.
Jordi + Starr - Designers of Jordi Scott™
Style Details: “We believe that music and fashion are inseparable entities, and we are dedicated to exposing both expressions on a level created all on our own. Our fashion is all about being Infamous and true to your own sense of style,” states Jordi Scott.
We love: a collection that is authentic in its humor with cheeky design details


A look from the Infamous Revolution Spring/Summer 2009 Collection

A little Q + A with Starr Rinaldi:
1. Your current collection is inspired by punk and new wave music which is edgy and slightly dangerous - kind of like NYC of the 70s and 80s. But New York has been accused by many of losing "it's edge" and becoming too commercial as opposed to other big cities like London and Berlin. What are your thoughts on this?
I personally feel there is a big resurgence in the vibe/energy NYC is teetering on right now. Not exactly sure which way its gonna go but there is something special in the air. I am so glad to be apart of it. NYC has changed a lot but still remains the same in so many ways. After Sept. 11th, NYC I believe got the wind sucked out of it, the vibe/energy changed but there is now this new found energy, a feeling like "anything is possible"...along with splashes of hope, uneasiness, trouble and of course love. Now that's a cocktail, I would like to drink... I think thats edgy. Berlin has a beautiful twist on a Bohemian movement that I see, but I feel so do many other cities...that uniquely have that special something in their own way such as Barcelona, Rome, Zurich, Manchester, Hiroshima, Paris, Sao Paulo just to name a few. Regarding NYC and London's edge, well NYC along with London just lost "it's grit". I feel there is a lovely noncommercial collective movement in many cities, you just sometimes just need to tap into it or look for it, that includes NYC and London. Everything changes in time, but conditioning always remains there. So I would like to kind of look at it as getting better, like new edgy flavor.

2. How do you stay inspired/what inspires you?
It is so easy to be inspired now these days, so many things are going on in the world today. I sometimes feel overloaded with being inspired, there are so many things that I gravitate towards or that I am drawn to. Having the
Internet is like a wonderland full of advantages and exploration of what is going on in the world. And, that I live in NYC there is always something new I experience or see. That's pretty rad in itself. Having these two things combined, how is it not possible to be inspired? My passion and drive go hand and hand with all that inspires me, it keeps me discovering and constantly moving.

3. What's your favorite neighborhood and why?
WOW!!! I don't think I can pick a favorite, I'm fond of a couple of neighborhoods.
Little Italy comes to mind, I think mostly cause I'm Italian, Nolita I like too. The East Village...our store is there and I enjoy all it has to offer. I discover something new every day being in that area. And of course Park Slope, I don't need to go into the city, as it has so much to offer, without the craziness.

4. What's your favorite New York movie and why?
I don't think I can name just one here either, so many good NY movies. I feel bad picking just one movie but I will name the ones that come to mind that I'm very fond of: Fame: it's about NY high school performing arts and I was into all that stuff growing up and would have liked to go there. Who wouldn't? Raging Bull: having a NY cast with Jake
LaMotta, Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese...it's brilliant (Oh, Taxi Driver, such a good movie, too). The Fisher King: it has a little bit of that special something about NY all wrapped into it. The Muppet's Take Manhattan: Need I say more....It is one the best NY movies ever....It is the Muppet's and NYC...it is just pure perfection!!!


5.fill in the blank: New York City is the Capital of the Universe because _______
it just is. It is a city of way too many options, on all fronts. It so enjoyable. Come on now, where else can you stay single for a long time and that it is accepted. It is all about options, I tell ya, and we all need options in our lives.

CHECK BACK TOMORROW FOR MORE LOOKS FROM JORDI SCOTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy