Sunday, March 22, 2009

Interview with Designer Jonathan Stern -One For the Boys

Israeli Fashion Designer Jonathan Stern, 25, has always been attracted to visual arts and fashion. He captivated the audience at the 2009 iD Dunedin Fashion Week Emerging Designer Awards and was awarded first prize in the Emerging Designer Competition.

"I felt that more and more men are searching for a model of masculinity which is free from all stereotype definitions, after they have come to an understanding that the old, familiar and limited model does not serve them anymore."
Ryan Hobbs caught up with Jonathan and interviewed him for Style Defined.
What are you going to do next?
After winning I feel like going to Europe and take over some big fashion house, and be the design director, but I am happy to work for this dream.

Is this your first collection?
Yes, but not my last.

Do you design women’s clothing?

No, but I might if the place and creative director would allow me the freedom to pursue my dreams and visions for a women’s collection.

Have you enjoyed your time in Dunedin?
Yes, yes, I would like to run for the elections.

Where do your ideas come from?
After long years of therapy, I had to do something with all my thoughts, you know, right feelings, and from this time of self-reflection I started to decide that the concept of masculinity needed to be addressed. My ability to see what it is to be a man and how that is perceived, that there is more than one way to dress a man. This desire to use the personal as my motivation and inspiration will come across with this collection.

What designers inspire you?
Raf Simons and Dior Homme.

What is your dream job?
Move to Europe and take over a fashion house and be the design director. Seriously I need to make the right decision on where I can be happy as a designer and develop my talent in an appropriate place. I need to use this as a stop up the ladder and move accordingly to the next goal.

Would you wear your own collection?
Yes, If I was taller and skinnier, taller and skinnier.

What’s the new black?
Silver, digital blue, and shiny yellow (neon + bright).

How important was winning the other night?
I am still soaking it all up, but, winning is not as important as making and showing and living. I love that I had the opportunity to show Dunedin my collection. Winning is secondary.

Would you ever enter Project Runway?
No. Bad publicity, reality is always bad.

What was it like growing up in Tel Aviv as a Fashion Designer?
My family was cool and supportive, and lovely.

Have you always wanted to be a designer?
No, I wanted to be an architect, but that early desire to be an architect comes across in my work ethic and building of a collection.

How do you start a collection by theme? Color? An idea? Expression?
When I started Variations, I started with the lace and black leather jacket, and then the last one with the hood became my favorite and best piece from the collection.

What is your most prized possession?
A Martin Margiela tee shirt given to him by Margie Robertson, at Plume, the creative genius behind NOM*d. Behind this shirt has been remade and reinterpreted over six years. The text is the only aspect that remains the same. But what the shirt stands for and represents resonates with me. Incredible shirt, and made every year and still it is important.

Who or what is your muse?
My muse is Ryan Hobbs, but really is life, passion and desire. My muse would most definitely be Portishead.

What era would you live in or what designer would you want to work with since you are emerging?
I think probably, I really like Dior Homme, Hedi Slimane especially when he first started to bring all the skinny type chic to the marketplace and probably have you seen David Bowie in Labyrinth, the fabrics were amazing.

A potential new theme for my work…
I have always wanted to use the masquarade ball and transform it to a men’s collection, eyes wide shut would be the name of the collection, hoodies, capes.

Worst fashion, crime of the century?
Bare midriff, the half shirt, and braces (suspenders)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy