Friday, November 19, 2010

Mandy Coon - Fashion Fridays

 When I decided to start "Fashion Fridays" to highlight someone working in fashion in NYC I asked Erin Dixon, the editor of Dossier Journal who she thought would be good to feature. Mandy Coon was one of the designers at the top of her list. I knew Mandy had shown this past NYFW at Milk Studios but didn't know her background first as a model then a DJ and finally becoming a designer via FIT and apprenticing for Camilla Staerk. What I did know was that when I checked out her designs I found the mix of sleek satin and leather with more architectural knits creates the perfect cocktail of sexy/smart/sophisticated for the downtown set.

Here are Mandy's answers to my FF questions:

If you could live in another era, when would it be and why?
The '50s were a pretty amazing era decade for design....

What’s your favorite movie?
Visually, I love The Night Porter. It's pretty intense, but Charlotte Rampling is so amazing in it.

A purse from her Fall 2010 Collection
What is a current obsession?
Rabbits (real ones). And my dog.

Do you read fashion magazines?
Occasionally. I used to read them a lot, but this days, I'm super busy, and I think I might be unconsciously trying to avoid them, to some extent. I don't want to be unconsciously influenced by anything....


Describe your style as a friend would
Dark, but fun.

What style/trend (current or past) do you hope is never recycled?
Uggs

What style/trend would you like to see come back?
High-waisted trousers- not the ridiculously high ones, just the ones that sit at the natural waist, instead of falling off and showing your bum.

Has the internet changed the fashion industry? How?
Definitely. I was not exposed to much, growing up in texas. Now kids are exposed to everything.

Can we find you on twitter?
Yes- but I don't tweet much.
I do have a facebook problem, though...

finish this sentence: I love New York because…
literally anything can happen here.

Autumn/Winter 2010 lookbook, photo by Samantha Rapp
Autumn/Winter 2010 lookbook, photo by Samantha Rapp  
 Where to find Mandy Coon
NEW YORK:
ASSEMBLY (www.assemblynewyork.com/)
EVA (www.evanewyork.net)
OPENING CEREMONY (www.openingceremony.us)
BIRD WILLIAMSBURG (www.shopbird.com)

LOS ANGELES:
OPENING CEREMONY (www.openingceremony.us)

PARIS:
COLETTE (www.colette.fr)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy